Thursday, December 27, 2007

Teacher? Student?

One of the good things about teaching that they don't really tell you about beforehand is that you actually learn a lot. I'm here to teach English but I'm learning about:
-the history of soccer (there didn't used to be rules and whole towns would play, throughout the whole town--sometimes, people died, so it was banned by 3 different monarchs. Unsuccessfully. And we think we have sports that surpass it).
-continental drift through reading units with the kids.
-incentives and how to manipulate the will of others through communing with the authoritarian within myself.

Mostly, I've learned more than I want to about that last one, and I have pretty good classes this semester so I'm getting back to focusing on things like the first two. This semester is making me feel like, yeah, I might want to have kids some day, after all.

That's this semester so far, anyway. Here's to sweet kids who turn into devils when they realize I'm a pretty nice guy.

No comments: