Sunday, December 23, 2007

what the hell...spring for the greater of two evils.

In a sincere effort to be a good human, I've recently realized it'll be necessary to avoid talking to certain people as much as possible. I think there's something to be said for repairing unneccessary heartache, especially if I'm the root cause, and I've made an attempt to do so. Sometimes, though, the best thing I can do is distance myself so as not to do any further damage.

In this spirit of bettering myself, it has suddenly occurred to me that New Year's resolutions might be a good idea. I've never had any serious ones, but I'm going to make around four.

1. Don't be callous.
2. Learn more about power plants, waste disposal, and calculus.
3. Become more outgoing.
4. Get out of debt.

Alright, #4 is kind of lame, since four months ago I already committed a year of my life to paying off my college debt. (I understand that a year sounds like a short time to pay off college debt, but I had to invest a lot into this--reference being on the other side of the world. Interesting fact: the sidewalks are made out of metal and we all have to wear magnetic shoes. When we go indoors, we just do a little flip and the building holds us up. Don't even ask me how they anchor the buildings, because I haven't learned much about their magic yet.)

And #3 is just something I've been meaning to do anyway, especially after my main social connection, my best day-to-day friend, told me I was the biggest mistake of his life. I'm going to work on knowing current events so that they can be conversation topics. I'm going to work on number two so that I can talk about the topics that actually interest me.

#2 mainly stems from my desire to quit fucking up our planet, because among the buffet of pick-and-choose bible quotes that I was raised on, one of my favorites has always been "First remove the beam from your own eye, and then you can see clearly to remove the speck of chaff that is in your brother's eye." I want to learn to be perfect in my own habits so that I can start proselytizing. And of course, by that I mean converting people to my faith. My faith being in the fact that the earth is important.

And #1...how am I going to manage that one? Sounds hard. I'll try to be more emotional, though. Big reaction when actually I think it's no big deal. I'm going to test-drive the belief that being fake is better than being dull!

That exclamation point shows how exciting the new me is.

1 comment:

Hops said...

Ooh good idea. Re: #4, I'm reading this book, "Debt-Free by 30" and it's really scary! Here are 2 things I learned from the first 1/3 of it: You can't control how much you make, only how much you spend. Also, math is hard.

And thanks for the link!