Thursday, April 24, 2008

Coworking

Today in class we were reading Ramona Quimby, Age 8, by Beverly Cleary. Remember Beverly Cleary? No, not Superfudge--that was Judy Bloom. Well, today Ramona got sick all over the classroom floor and her mother had to leave work to pick her up and I'm standing there at the head of the class holding my bright yellow paperback and wondering how I'd feel if I worked with Mrs. Quimby.

People who have children hope for help from all the people around them--coworkers, bosses, etc. They need a little slack, an unscheduled day off now and then, even sometimes the legitimate chance to go pick up their sick daughter from third grade. In today's overpopulated world, with big city social isolationism contributing a little something as well, people feel less and less inclined to pick up that slack.

Also, you know that mean waitress who's ditching out of work early (again) to pick up her kids from high school (while her out-of-work husband sits at home), leaving you to refill the salt shakers at server's minimum wage ($3.15?), could have had an abortion if she wasn't in a position to juggle all the aspects of being a parent, even though you don't really think you can decide whether other people should have abortions and so you end up just grumbling to yourself while you fill your salt shakers and hers, too.

In general, I wish we were all a little more willing to let out that slack. Bring back the tight-knit community, which understands that parenting is more responsibility than anyone ever expects and that it is the most important reason that the community exists to begin with.

We'd have to scale down our population a bit before we could retain that perspective, though. Just my opinion.

1 comment:

Jenna said...

I so agree. I was thinking a while ago that when/if I have kids I am going to make them read all of my old favorites, Ramona, Boxcar Children, Babysitter's Club, and a million others. I'm so glad my mom encouraged reading to the extent that she did. I'm so sad my sister doesn't read to my nephews despite him having a hundred books. And as far as the community or lack of community well being we have, your mom, Hope and I were just discussing it and the lack of community care that takes place is really harming our society.

Can't wait to see you.